Re: ????????? Microphones ??????????

Subject: Re: ????????? Microphones ??????????
From: "Marinos Koutsomichalis" marinoskouts=
omichalis
Date: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:49 am ((PDT))

I' d like to think there are 2 different ways to go, generally speaking

the one is to have some ultra-portable recording you can carry with you all=
 the time - sth like the sony d-50 or similar and use it with its own on-bo=
ard mics. These machines usually have plug-in power jack inputs for externa=
l microphones

the other is to have a professional machine with good quality preamps with =
XLR jacks  and phantom power, plus a set of quality microphones, wind-prote=
ction systems, cables, boom poles, tripods, and whatever else your individu=
al needs call for..

A professional field recordist should have at least 2 set-ups. One ultra-po=
rtable and a really professional one. My experience says not to try mix the=
 two worlds. Most portable recorders do not pair well professional mics and=
 you need additional adaptors, etc - they are no designed for such a use an=
yway. On the other hand, most professional machines do not pair well consum=
er electret microphones - you might need adaptors, plug-in power modules an=
d they are not designed for such a use anyway as they are more bulky and he=
avy..

I think that there is no middle-way - no machine that will suit both worlds=
. You can be ultra-portable and that' s really useful sometimes, but you wo=
n' t have that pro quality in you recordings. You can go the pro way, but y=
ou will need a lot of extra cash, a lot of extra knowledge and accuracy - y=
ou will have a lot more weight to carry around and all sorts of other neces=
sities -  like a car to move your equipment around, an insurance because yo=
u don' t want to take risks with it, etc..

so my advice would be to stick with the d-50 or similar and use it as is - =
and if at some point in the future you decide to invest more in good equipm=
ent , this will be you secondary ultra-portable set-up,

of course there are intermediate approaches worth discussing, but I would n=
ot advice a newbie to step in these fields..

On 14 =CE=91=CF=85=CE=B3 2010, at 3:49 =CE=BC.=CE=BC., Marc Myers wrote:

> I think you should go and enjoy yourself. If the recordings seem inadequa=
te move forward with more gear. But remember more gear =3D more complexity =
=3D more remembering to charge/change all the batteries =3D more interconne=
ction and cabling problems =3D more junk to carry around. The Sony has quit=
e a decent reputation. You may not need more.