Re: Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Infrasound microphone
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:48 pm ((PDT))
Part of the reason I added video is to dismiss a few things.  Even if you d=
on't use the video, it's nice to have the reference, if only to document wh=
ere and how you placed the mics.  And which mics you used if you have optio=
ns.  There's a few options these days that are okay in low light situations=
 that just didn't exist for the most part a few years ago.  Not to say grea=
t, but with a full moon, some stabilization, and a prolonged exposure.  Add=
itional information where none may otherwise exist.

As far as situations.  Maybe it's the military thing.  But you get into a s=
ort of attack mode.  Even in the absence of real weapons, car keys can make=
 an effective stabbing weapon.  More effective that poking at a wild animal=
 with fingers or fists alone.  Not that it's any substitute for not being a=
t risk.  But I'm not as easily deterred as others.  And I know when it's ti=
me to leave as well.

Being a musician by trade affords me a better awareness of what makes a sou=
nd and from where it's coming from.  Not that sounds mean much without a co=
ntext.  Which only the person who made the recording has.  Although it migh=
t be that the lip smack was a tail smack on the water / mud.  Which might b=
e the platypus, not the beaver.  And other relatively unknown possibilities=
.  In the absence of additional information recording the sound and the thi=
ng making the sound.

- James

Most of what I've heard, is that if it wasn't for the extended low end of t=
he 80x0 series, that they would RATHER use some OTHER rather specific mic(s=
).  Not to say that they aren't amazing mics and a value at their price poi=
nts.  Hence why I want some.  But I've seen many comments that favor the ol=
der MKH20 / MKH40 over their modern MKH8020 and MKH8040 counterparts.  And =
other mics that are on par with the new kids on the block.