Re: Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Infrasound microphone
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 am ((PDT))
<< I've been longing for some MKH8020's which spec okay down there
according to the manufacturer anyway.  But not cheap, and not the most
favored of the not cheap mics.>>

Not-cheap is in the wallet of the beholder, but the MKH 80x0s are in
the same price league as all the other major players in the high end
sweepstakes, i.e. about the same as similar Schoeps & Neumann
offerings. I'm not sure with whom they have not found favor. In the
classical music realm they have uniformly been eliciting dropped jaws
& making our DPAs, Schoeps's, & Neumanns seem distinctly second tier.
I haven't heard the omni version yet but the 8040 is simply the most
astonishing small diaphragm cardioid mic I've ever heard in 35 years
of classical recording.

Scott Fraser