Re: Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Infrasound microphone
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:28 am ((PDT))
Beaver sounds about right.=C2=A0 I used to be in the Army Band in Georgia.=
=C2=A0 And with the odd schedule that that includes, I often found myself r=
iding my bicycle down the river walk at that 1am - 3am period to stay in sh=
ape.=C2=A0 Anyway, I've seen some beavers around those hours that make a VW=
 bug look like a slightly bigger beaver.=C2=A0 Plus so many rabbits you cou=
ldn't go past 3rd gear on a 15 speed mountain bike or you'd run them over.

That job also drives you to seek silence.=C2=A0 So I often found myself fis=
hing from a canoe while casually floating down a river.=C2=A0 The usual tou=
rists getting in and paddling till the cows come home.=C2=A0 While I try in=
itially to go a bit upstream to explore.=C2=A0 Up a couple of the feeder st=
reams.=C2=A0 Down a couple dead ends.=C2=A0 And ultimately being ultra quie=
t and being about an hour behind the other folks.=C2=A0 In those travels yo=
u tend to sneak upon a few of the wildlife residents that might otherwise g=
o unnoticed.=C2=A0 Long before I ever got the recording bug.=C2=A0 I snuck =
up on a 15' gator sunning on the beach next to a part of the river that was=
 maybe 5' wide and 2' deep.=C2=A0 Stopping where I was initially which star=
tled the creature and in a single graceful movement that gator was in the w=
ater and out of sight.=C2=A0 While I turned into one of those tourist types=
 and start moving the canoe much faster.=C2=A0 Also sneaking upon a pack of=
 pigs.=C2=A0 Deer and the usual things.

Crashes could be a lot of things.=C2=A0 Loud ones are likely falling trees =
or large branches.=C2=A0 If it's been dry and then suddenly wet, that britt=
leness combined with extra weight makes for some remodeling.=C2=A0 A pretty=
 major concern after Hurricane Opal blew through that Georgia / Alabama are=
a in the mid 90's.=C2=A0 More people died from falling branches several day=
s AFTER the storm than did in the storm.=C2=A0 Or if it's cold and the free=
zing rain thing, that tends to make it happen quicker.=C2=A0 If you're near=
 water it could be fish jumping for insects and belly flopping on the surfa=
ce of the water.=C2=A0 There's some pretty big fish out there.=C2=A0 And th=
ose crafty squirrels tend to chuck their nuts at rocks (and passing vehicle=
s) to break them open.=C2=A0

As far as one of those recordings, it sounds like someone is sitting near t=
he mics and has a squeeky chair, plus making the usual people sounds.=C2=A0=
 Fiddling with whatever is in their hands.=C2=A0 Moving their feet around t=
rying to get comfortable.=C2=A0 Or it could be a less domestic source.

- James