Re: Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Infrasound microphone
From: "immonacan99" immonacan99
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am ((PDT))
Kevin, thanks for listening and your opinion.
I have also thought about it being a beaver (at least one, was nearby in a =
pond), but haven't yet found a recording of this activity (for comparison),=
 or anyone that has heard this activity in the field, and could positively =
say for sure...it was beaver. I'm thinking that there are a whole lot of so=
unds that known animals make, that I've never heard. What sounds like a ton=
gue click or palate pop, in the clip...has me stumped. Maybe a beaver can a=
lso produce this sound (?) The combination of all of these sounds together =
(crunches, scratches (or gnaws), and tongue pop sound, is what made this cl=
ip interesting, to me.
I did an experiment with the Zoom H2 recorder and fake fur mic cover, to tr=
y and duplicate the sound by lightly scratching, rubbing, and (don't laugh =
too hard) even licking at the toopay mic cover, while recording with the sa=
me settings. I could get close to the sound, but no cigar. As you said, the=
 sounds could have been coming from very close by. I'm looking to get to th=
e true source (which might never happen), and am still having a good time, =
doing it.

James, thanks also for listening. The recorder was set out in a tree within=
 a swampy area, about a 10 minute walk from our camp. The weather was calm =
and clear. There was the occasional sounds of water dropping off of trees, =
from an earlier rain shower. I heard no signs of any other human activity (=
other than us placing and retrieving the recorder) during the overnight.

I'm not looking to take this great thread... too far off topic, and just wa=
nted Paul to know that other folks on this list, are interested, and out th=
ere investigating this mystery, as well as continuing to do enjoy some natu=
re recording. The folks I deal with in the field, are interested in the tru=
th, and are trying to get to the bottom of it. So far, I've come up nothing=
 solid, that would convince anyone that hasn't had, my (or my wife's) exper=
iences, to relate to.

Bill R.