Re: PCM Recorder advice needed.

Subject: Re: PCM Recorder advice needed.
From: "Sean" rastasean83
Date: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:58 am ((PDT))
I also own the fostex fr-2le and surprised it only records in stereo. I tho=
ught there was an option to make it mono since stereo usage is not always n=
eeded. Obviously, you would just plug in one cable and drop the levels on t=
he second channel if you cannot make it mono.

It's quite weird that once a card is formatted to a particular setting, it =
cannot be undone unless you format the card. This can be worked around by c=
arrying more than one card...if needed. One card can be 16/44.1 and another=
 at 24/48. I don't record much of anything beyond 24/48 so the 96k is beyon=
d my usage point.

One of the nice things is a pre-record feature. it's only two seconds but i=
t will train you to have your finger on the record button just in case...

One of the better functions of the recorder is that it doesn't just take AA=
 batteries but also takes 7.2 volt Tamiya batteries allowing an abundant ti=
me to record with phantom power.

all in all, the 2le has served nature recordists and tapers quite well and =
I don't have any reservations to recommend it to anyone interested in a uni=
t with great sound and the need for xlr.

--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:

> >  What are some of the "idiosyncrasies and quirks" of [the FR2-LE]?
>
> Here are notes from my review, posted here in July 2007. --oryoki
>

> First, when you format the Compactflash card for use in the FR-2LE, you s=
pecify the bit depth and quantization rate to be used (like 24/96).  These =
settings are stored in a text file on the flash card.  If you want to chang=
e this setting (say, to MP3 or 16/44.1), you have to re-format the flash ca=
rd.  The formatting will lose any data already on the flash card.  This is =
a quick format, just a few seconds.

> Second, the maximum file size is 4GB.  When the recorder gets to 4GB, it =
just saves the file and stops.  4GB is space for six hours of continuous re=
cording in 16/48, but only two hours at 24/96.  This is not an issue for mo=
st nature recording scenarios, but could be a problem if the recorder will =
do double duty as a concert recorder.

> Third, the FR-2LE has only one bit depth for MP3.  It's 192kbps continuou=
s (no variable rate).  Recording at this rate, a 1GB card can hold approxim=
ately 11 hours of recordings.  You'd need to change batteries or run from a=
n external power supply to record for such a long time.

> Fourth, you can't erase any tracks from the machine in the field.  You ca=
n remove tracks from the edit decision list, or change the order of the tra=
cks in the list, but you can't delete any.  When you attach your flash card=
 to a computer, you can delete if you want to.  Or you can format the card =
in the recorder.  But an individual file can't be deleted in the recorder.

> Fifth, the FR-2LE records in stereo only.  This is wasteful of storage sp=
ace if you are recording with a single mic.  I guess you could use a "Y" ca=
ble to send the mono signal into both channels of the recorder, and then re=
cord at different preamp levels.

> I think these last two design decisions are part of a strategy Fostex has=
 to reduce errors when the machine is being used by a less-experienced reco=
rdist, perhaps a news reporter.  An audio technician sets up the recorder, =
including the flash card, in the shop.  The FR-2LE stores settings like ALC=
 on/off, high pass filter on/off, Input mode, digitizing rate, phantom powe=
r on/off, and so on, in non-volatile memory that retains the settings even =
with the battery pack removed.  The Compactflash card holds information lik=
e the digitizing rate, the project name or reel number, and pointers to the=
 start and stop points of any existing tracks and cue marks.

> Once the FR-2LE is configured, the field recordist doesn't need to think =
about settings, just when to push the Record button.  It doesn't matter whi=
ch XLR jack a mono mic is plugged into. Most relevant settings are visible =
on the LC screen if you want to check.

> I'm sure Fostex worked a long time with customers like radio stations to =
come up with this fail-safe arrangement.   The FR-2LE forces you to work a =
particular way to maximize the likelihood that your recordings will come ho=
me intact, and in the format you want.  But some people will find these res=
trictions burdensome.

> These points aside, the FR-2LE seems to be a great machine.  The preamp i=
s quiet, the controls are easy to use, the machine is well-designed for use=
 in a shoulder bag, and the Tamiya RC3600 NiMH battery solution is good for=
 8 hours of run time.