Re: PCM Recorder advice needed.

Subject: Re: PCM Recorder advice needed.
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 pm ((PDT))
Howdy Friends,

As you know, I started this thread on 10 July to gather information to help
me decide what recorder to purchase as part of an upgrade project for my
nature sound recording system.  My intent is to set up a recorder and very
sensitive microphones and related hardware primarily to be used for long
range recording of shore birds and raptors in wide open spaces where
getting close simply isn't practical.  Its primarily an attempt on my part
to see if I can put to use some of my experience learned in a career of
working with underwater acoustics at long ranges and extreme depths.  Its a
nothing ventured nothing gained sort of an adventure while learning as I go
as I see it.

I also started a second thread titled "Your Opinion Please" on 13 July
after discovering one more recorder besides those I was considering that
looked like it would fit my needs, the Tascam DR-100.

After reading all the responses and following the good suggestions about
matching mics & recorders based on self noise and recorder mic preamp noise
of mics I have and plan to be using in the future,  this afternoon I made
my decision and a Marantz PMD661 was placed on order which I hopefully will
have the first of next week.

I have to say, its been a very intellectually profitable trip in reaching
this decision, Thanks to Rob D., Dan Dugan, and Raimund, my knowledge of
microphones and PCM recorders has been expanded considerably in just a few
days...

The choice of the PMD661 was largely helped in the making by the excellent
recorder and microphone data collected and made available by the members
here, and some very good advise by a number of you.

So to you all, my great thanks for your efforts and success to make the
Naturerecordists group work as it does...

Thank You all...

Mitch & Shadow...

--

Mitch