Re: Need help selecting a field recorder and microphones :)

Subject: Re: Need help selecting a field recorder and microphones :)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun May 16, 2010 10:35 pm ((PDT))
At 11:15 PM +0000 5/16/10, Sean wrote:

>Hello Rob,
>
>Thanks for the excellent information and selling points of the Telingas!
>
>I in NO way doubt what you're stating and to you it doesn't make
>sense to buy $80 WM-61A when they are more noisy than the mics on
>the the m10.

Hi Sean--
In louder settings, they'd be fine and certainly can produce better
stereo imagery than the built-in mic array.

>HOWEVER, you make another very valid point: Should "readteamwins" be
>serious about recording in quiet, natural environments...
>
>SHOULD HE. that means, he has to think about spending ~$542 on the
>mics you're referencing, Telinga EM-23
><http://www.telinga.com/pricelist2007.htm>http://www.telinga.com/pricelist=
Message: 2007.
Subject: htm

The "Clip-On" mics aren't on that list, but he's selling them. I
think they're considerably less.  Mike Wall posted some sample
recordings. If you search "Mike Wall Clip" in the list archive that
should get one to Mike's samples.

>After someone spends $262 more on the mics than on the recorder,
>would one assume the recorder is inadequate and needs to be upgraded
>to something like The ARES-ML or a Canar audio recorder.

Spending considerably more on mics than on the recorder is pretty
common-- especially these days with lower recorder costs. The Fostex
FR2-LE covers all the bases for less than $500USD-- except for one
factor-- its bigger than some people prefer.

>My point is, before someone gets a lot of expensive gear and
>accessories, they should figure out how serious they want to take
>this hobby of theirs since it most likely will not be paying them
>money.

That's true and I'd suggest that the test period should also include
borrowing or renting some gvery low noise mics as well. :-)

One has to hear the difference to appreciate it.  In the field
recording class I taught for a number of years, the students packaged
their own WM-61a's mics and had access to Rode NT-4's (supposedly
16dB[A] but probably closer to 19 dB[A]) and several mics in the
<13dB(A) range. Once the students used the <13dB(A) self-noise mics,
they refused to use the NT-4's for quiet subjects.  They did continue
to use their personal WM-61a's  all the time for robust sounds and
many preferred these over the Rode NT-4's because their DIY mics
provided more stereo imaging options.

>I completely understand that the most important part of any
>recording chain is the microphone and if you have a cruddy mic, you
>can expect equally cruddy recording in playback. Have you ever used
>the sound pros binaural mics I linked to?

Yes. The last time I asked Chris, he was putting WM-61A's into the
SP-TFB-2 package. I've used them many times and heard quite a few
recordings made with them.

>specifications can be looked at and studied all day long but I would
>rather make a recording TODAY with $80 mics than save $540 on a pair
>of mics.

If one can solder, one can buy 10 of the capsules for $30 with
shipping
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=3Den&site=3DUS&WT=
.z_homepage_link=3Dhp_go_button&KeyWords=3Dpanasonic+wm-61A&x=3D0&y=3D0

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/116/Trek01/BuildingMics/WM-61A_BrookBu=
ildsMics/WM-61A_BrookBuildsMics.html