Re: Need help selecting a field recorder and microphones :)

Subject: Re: Need help selecting a field recorder and microphones :)
From: "Sean" rastasean83
Date: Sun May 16, 2010 4:15 pm ((PDT))
Hello Rob,

Thanks for the excellent information and selling points of the Telingas!

I in NO way doubt what you're stating and to you it doesn't make sense to b=
uy $80 WM-61A when they are more noisy than the mics on the the m10.

HOWEVER, you make another very valid point: Should "readteamwins" be seriou=
s about recording in quiet, natural environments...

SHOULD HE. that means, he has to think about spending ~$542 on the mics you=
're referencing, Telinga EM-23
http://www.telinga.com/pricelist2007.htm

After someone spends $262 more on the mics than on the recorder, would one =
assume the recorder is inadequate and needs to be upgraded to something lik=
e The ARES-ML or a Canar audio recorder.

My point is, before someone gets a lot of expensive gear and accessories, t=
hey should figure out how serious they want to take this hobby of theirs si=
nce it most likely will not be paying them money.

I completely understand that the most important part of any recording chain=
 is the microphone and if you have a cruddy mic, you can expect equally cru=
ddy recording in playback. Have you ever used the sound pros binaural mics =
I linked to?

specifications can be looked at and studied all day long but I would rather=
 make a recording TODAY with $80 mics than save $540 on a pair of mics. Ple=
ase understand that I have other microphones and I will acquire more throug=
hout my life so I understand the lust for gear but it sounds like this is a=
ll new to readteamwins and perhaps he doesn't want to drop that kind of cas=
h for what may only be recordings here and there.

On the Telinga, what is the max SPL they can handle?

peace,
sean

--- In  Rob Danielson composed: