Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans

Subject: Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Apr 8, 2010 9:23 am ((PDT))
<<I think I am heading towards the AT4022-I wonder, should I hold on
to the
MXL 990s and 991s for loud situations, like thunder, crashing
waterfalls,
loud concert situations? (Can't think of many in my world as I am
classical
musician, but I could imagine loud percussion or Spanish bagpipe bands
on
the traditional music end.)>>

I don't have any experience with the MXL mics, but in general, as you
acquire more sensitive & more finely detailed mics you'll find the
need for lesser mics falls away. A fine mic in a louder ambience will
still provide better results, so, except in the case of a hazardous
situation involving lots of moisture, dust or other risk of damage to
your better mics, you won't have much call to keep the entry models
around. The difference between an MXL & a more upscale mic will be
more in the realm of resolving finer detail, not just an improvement
in noise specification.

Scott Fraser