Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans

Subject: Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Apr 6, 2010 10:21 pm ((PDT))
Hi Vlad,

On 07/04/2010, at 2:28 PM, Wolodymyr Smishkewych wrote:

> I am considering the following:
>
> Pair of AKG C 1000 cardioids

Way too noisy for ambient recording IMHO!  At 21dBA self-noise and 6mV/Pa  =
I would suggest you remove these from your list!  Look for sub 15dB self-no=
ise and preferably 15mV/Pa+ sensitivity. The MXL 991's have 15mV/Pa sensiti=
vity and 20dB self-noise and would a better choice than the AKG C 1000.  If=
 preamp gain is an issue with the MXL's it would be far worse with the AKG'=
s.

> Pair of Oktava MK-012 cardiods or omnis

18dB and 10mV/Pa is a little better but still on the noisy side ambient rec=
ording, and again these have lower sensitivity.

> Pair of Sennheiser ME 62 omnis

At 15dB self-noise and 31mV/Pa these are probably the best of the three cho=
ices for ambient recording from your list, and the sensitivity is much high=
er than your MXL's.  The modular design of the ME6x's means once you have t=
he K6 powering utilities it's relatively cheap to add different capsules.  =
 That said the At4022 would be better suited for ambient recording as they =
are a couple of dB quieter than the ME62's and have higher sensitivity than=
 your current MXL's.

cheers
Paul

> At the moment the AKGs are top of my list for combo of price and versatil=
ity. Any pros/cons, or other recommendations?

> Also, the secdon question. I recently picked up one of Steve Dill's parab=
olic reflectors on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Parabolic-project-Reflector-Di=
sh-Microphone-Science_W0QQitemZ230451008115QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDom=
ain_0?hash=3Ditem35a7f35273) and was wonering if anyone in the group has ha=
d experience they'd like to share regarding building a good rig using this =
reflector, something to the effect of the photo in http://www.wildlife-soun=
d.org/equipment/newcomersguide/microphones.html#parabol, but with a mic hol=
der similar to the Sony PBR-330?

> Thanks!
>
> Vlad

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: