Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans

Subject: Re: More mic advice--close to decision / parabolic plans
From: "Wolodymyr Smishkewych" wjsmish=
Date: Wed Apr 7, 2010 6:50 am ((PDT))

Paul, thanks! This is VERY helpful, and your assessment of the details was =
a big tip: I know now a little bit more about what to be looking for (some =
things aren't that obvious to the self-taught, but we grasp them quickly on=
ce pointed out!)--I'm talking mainly about what levels to be looking for re=
garding self-noise and sensitivity, which until the jargon on the specs she=
ets is deciphered are not always patently obvious. Thank you so much! I had=
 been eyeing the AT4022s as well (as from my previous email) so I may be he=
ading in that direction based on these assessments and your help.

How would you say they might behave in a barrier-separated setup such as on=
 that Amberwood reflector shown on the UK wildlife-sound.org page? Would th=
ey pretty much do a good job of capturing a focused sound mono center with =
ambient in stereo? I am considering also making an additional hole in the r=
eflector dead center for putting my R=F8de VideoMic shotgun in through it, =
the main difference there that I'd have to have the inputs go in through th=
e 1/4" jacks on the Fostex. Has anyone had experience in doing this? i.e. t=
aking a stereo output from a shotgun with preamp such as the R=F8de VideoMi=
c (which is what I've used for most of the doc work so far, excepting AT la=
vs for interviews), then splitting it up into the channels on separate 1/4"=
 jacks? Will that work OK (shutting off phantom power first, of course)?

Thanks again, Paul and everyone!
Vlad

Wolodymyr Smishkewych
wolodymyrsmishkewych.com

On 7 Apr 2010, at 01:21, Paul Jacobson wrote:

> Hi Vlad,
>
> On 07/04/2010, at 2:28 PM, Wolodymyr Smishkewych wrote:
>
> > I am considering the following:
> >
> > Pair of AKG C 1000 cardioids
>
> Way too noisy for ambient recording IMHO! At 21dBA self-noise and 6mV/Pa =
I would suggest you remove these from your list! Look for sub 15dB self-noi=
se and preferably 15mV/Pa+ sensitivity. The MXL 991's have 15mV/Pa sensitiv=
ity and 20dB self-noise and would a better choice than the AKG C 1000. If p=
reamp gain is an issue with the MXL's it would be far worse with the AKG's.=

> > Pair of Oktava MK-012 cardiods or omnis
>
> 18dB and 10mV/Pa is a little better but still on the noisy side ambient r=
ecording, and again these have lower sensitivity.

> > Pair of Sennheiser ME 62 omnis
>
> At 15dB self-noise and 31mV/Pa these are probably the best of the three c=
hoices for ambient recording from your list, and the sensitivity is much hi=
gher than your MXL's.  The modular design of the ME6x's means once you have=
 the K6 powering utilities it's relatively cheap to add different capsules.=
 That said the At4022 would be better suited for ambient recording as they =
are a couple of dB quieter than the ME62's and have higher sensitivity than=
 your current MXL's.

> cheers
> Paul
>
> > At the moment the AKGs are top of my list for combo of price and versat=
ility. Any pros/cons, or other recommendations?

> > Also, the secdon question. I recently picked up one of Steve Dill's par=
abolic reflectors on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Parabolic-project-Reflector-=
Dish-Microphone-Science_W0QQitemZ230451008115QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultD=
omain_0?hash=3Ditem35a7f35273) and was wonering if anyone in the group has =
had experience they'd like to share regarding building a good rig using thi=
s reflector, something to the effect of the photo in http://www.wildlife-so=
und.org/equipment/newcomersguide/microphones.html#parabol, but with a mic h=
older similar to the Sony PBR-330?