Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders

Subject: Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:52 pm ((PST))

> Regarding your question on low-end roll-off with the Olympus
> recorders, I think this perceived problem came about due to a
> misunderstanding in some of the naturerecordists posts, altho I may
> be wrong here.  I have not found the LS-10 to be deficient in low end =

> providing the low cut switch on the recorder is in the OFF position.

Compared to the Edirol R09HR the LS10 is more neutral. The
R09HR seems to actually boost the lows which is odd. (I own both)

Heres a sequence I recorded in Italy with an LS10 and my own incredible
amazing, fantastic, remarkable mics running directly from the LS10's Plug i=
n Power (mics are 14 dBA, -28 dB Sensitivity, rec level 5ish, low) really n=
ice, awesome, real easy to use,
unbelievable, not entirely nature recording related but more like urban din=
. back to steve.

http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1096

> To try and help resolve this question I have posted a recording to
> the naturerecordists files page.  The recording is of thunder
> recorded on Olympus LS-10, low sensitivity volume 7, low cut switch
> turned OFF.  And using a Telinga stereo mic that was specially
> designed to use with the LS-10.  An analysis of the recording shows
> plenty of action below 50 Hz.

> What I do find is that the Telinga mic
> does not give a wide stereo image for low frequencies, yet the
> birdsong that you hear certainly does give a stereo effect.  However, =

> that is another issue to the low rumbles capacity of the LS-10.

Mic spacing? I would imagine the dish is almost transparent at low frequenc=
ies.

> So check out the group's FILES page where the recording is listed
> under: LS-10-Telinga storm and birdsong.mp3.  The mp3 was encoded at
> 192 kbps which does not seem to have compromised the low
> frequencies.  Original recording was WAV 44.1 and 16 bit.

I checked it in Amadeus Pro, lots of low frequency content.