Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders

Subject: Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:02 pm ((PST))
Hi Robin,

Your summary of recorders was interesting and I am sure it will be
helpful to people considering the purchase of a smaller pocketable
recorder.

A couple of points regarding the Olympus LS-10.  In one of your
charts you say that LS-10 and LS-11 use three AA batteries, when in
fact both recorders use only two AA batteries.

Regarding your question on low-end roll-off with the Olympus
recorders, I think this perceived problem came about due to a
misunderstanding in some of the naturerecordists posts, altho I may
be wrong here.  I have not found the LS-10 to be deficient in low end
providing the low cut switch on the recorder is in the OFF position.

To try and help resolve this question I have posted a recording to
the naturerecordists files page.  The recording is of thunder
recorded on Olympus LS-10, low sensitivity volume 7, low cut switch
turned OFF.  And using a Telinga stereo mic that was specially
designed to use with the LS-10.  An analysis of the recording shows
plenty of action below 50 Hz.  What I do find is that the Telinga mic
does not give a wide stereo image for low frequencies, yet the
birdsong that you hear certainly does give a stereo effect.  However,
that is another issue to the low rumbles capacity of the LS-10.

So check out the group's FILES page where the recording is listed
under: LS-10-Telinga storm and birdsong.mp3.  The mp3 was encoded at
192 kbps which does not seem to have compromised the low
frequencies.  Original recording was WAV 44.1 and 16 bit.

Vicki Powys
Australia