Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders

Subject: Re: comparing 20 portable digital recorders
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 am ((PST))
At 11:09 AM -0500 11/10/09, Nathan Gorman wrote:
>Hello Robin,
>Thank you for your work on comparing recorders. In working with the H2, is
>there any external shotgun mic set up that worked? I would love to be able
>to use my H2, but I cannot seem to pin point the sounds I am looking for
>while excluding the sounds I do not want.

Hi Nathan--
Shotgun mics still need to be quite close in
order to get desirable isolation between
foreground and background sounds.  No real magic
in them.  Parabolic dishes are quite a bit better
but if you are addressing your project of
recording natural sounds in an urban park,
recording early Sunday mornings and on holidays
will probably help more.

Pocket recorders can make great recordings if the
built-in mics are really close, I'd securely
attach H2's in popular perches and make long
duration takes-- in other words-- let the
subjects come to the mics. A technical advantage
an attentive birder has.

You can buy a light weight ladder and several
H2's and to spot around the park for a fraction
of the cost of a good dish. Make some
bark-colored jackets to make the H2's slightly
less conspicuous?

The H2 is a good choice for long duration
recording as it seems to handle sequential files
and power shut-downs reliably. I'd start-off
using medium sensitivity at the default setting
of "100" an record at 24 bits.  Rob D.