Re: Sony PCM-M10 - another new pocket-size recorder

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 - another new pocket-size recorder
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:26 am ((PDT))
<<The M10 may be missing important features of the D50, such as:
-optical digital input and output>>

For me, this is dealbreaker.

<<-switches to control limiter, low cut filter, mic attenuation>>

As long as they're in a menu, no problem.

<<-uses 2 instead of 4 AA cells, so recording time will be shorter>>

For me, not an issue.

<<-mics fixed in place at 120 degree angle, pointing away from each
other>>

I found the "sort of XY" 90 degree position to provide insufficient
stereo spread on the PCM D50. The "not quite ORTF" 120 degree position
has shown itself to be much more realistic to my ears, except for very
close sources of, say less than 3 feet.

The main drawback I see with the new smaller footprint will be in
attaching any sort of useable windscreen. To get traction on the body
of the D50 I find the Rycote fuzzy screen (good up to moderate amounts
of wind) obscures the top 1/3rd" or so of the display. I see no way to
use this sort of windgag on the smaller unit, & without some wind
protection I don't think any of these devices are useable outdoors.

Scott Fraser