Re: Soundscape MP3's

Subject: Re: Soundscape MP3's
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 pm ((PDT))
Hi Klas--

The main difference I notice is some additional
lower mid-range "roar" in MKH 30-40 compared to
your binaural rig. The space created by the
binaural rig seems larger/airier possibly because
one can hear more of the higher registers of the
sound reflections in the 240-900Hz range. Of
course, the ambience could be quite different
between the takes but I suspect some of this
difference would show-up consistently.

I haven't studied all of the takes you've made
with your new mic, but its has some very nice
qualities for recording ambience. The spread
across the center seems quite good. I agree with
everyone that its quite bright and I see that as
a good thing. I'm not hearing brittleness and I'd
rather have more presence 2K to 5K than a
deficit. I frequently add HF curves to many mics
in post anyway, especially when used in dense
vegetation. I think Dan has pointed out some HF
tonal emphasis in the EM-23's.  Its not as big of
a concern to me as it was in the days before
digital EQ plugs.

It would be ideal if the brightness could be
balanced with a little more deep bass response.
(My obsession with lowest octaves is not typical
for nature recordists, however).  Its hard to
judge the  relative low bass response without
more control between samples and a M-S matrix can
be weighted more towards the figure 8 or cardioid.

I'd be happy to experiment with some EQ and make
some more observations but it would be probably
be more reliable to work from the original, pre
normalization, shuffling etc.

There certainly is a big need for such a mic!
Exciting that you are working on it. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

At 1:49 AM +0200 7/12/09, Klas Strandberg wrote:
> [...]
>dB(A) noise and is extremely easy to use and reliable. The question
>is if it works as a soundscape mike in general?
>That is, - does it sound "realistic" enough? Or "nice".
>An how can the sound be manipulated by software?
>
>As it is, I tend to judge that high freq. are too separate, like the
>rain is to the right and left, but less straight
>forward. This can be adjusted.
>
>It is extremely difficult to judge over ones own design. Hearing is
>too subjective and when you have listened to the same mike a number
>of times you get "deaf" both for it=B4s qualities and shortcomings.
>Comments from others are invaluable.
>
>Klas.
>
>At 01:04 2009-07-12, you wrote:
>>Kevin wrote:
>>  >I've posted two related podcasts at www.7Loons.com:
>>  >
>>  >Lincoln's Sparrow, at the same location as Klas' recording but on the
>>  >next day, done with a Sony PCM D1 using the built in XY configuration
>>  >mics -
>>  >
>>  ><http://www.7loons.com/Soundscapes_for_Birders/Soundscape_for_Birder>h=
ttp://www.7loons.com/Soundscapes_for_Birders/Soundscape_for_Birder
>>  s%3A_Podcasts/Entries/2009/7/5_Lincoln
>>  >'s_Sparrow_at_Grand_Teton_National_Park%2C_WY.html
>>  >
>>  >and
>>  >
>>  >Two Oceans Lake, at a very near location with SD 722 and Sennheiser
>>  >30/40 MS pair -
>>  >
>>  ><http://www.7loons.com/Soundscapes_for_Birders/Soundscape_for_Birder>h=
ttp://www.7loons.com/Soundscapes_for_Birders/Soundscape_for_Birder
>>  s%3A_Podcasts/Entries/2009/7/8_Two_Oceans_Lake,_Grand_Teton_NP,_WY.html
>>  >
>>  >Kevin
>>  >www.7Loons.com
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >On Jul 10, 2009, at 7:52 PM, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>>  >
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> I sent two soundscape files to
>>  >>
>>  >>
>><http://www.telinga.com/gallery/gallery_private.htm>http://www.telinga.co=
m/gallery/gallery_private.htm
>>  >>
>>  >> Klas.
>  > >>
>>  >> Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
>>  >> S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
>  > >> Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
>>  >> email: <telinga%40bahnhof.se>
>>  > > website: www.telinga.com
>>  >>

>>Hi Kevin & Klas--
>>Thanks for sharing the samples, fellows. I took
>>Klas's Two Ocean's_Lake_Short.mp3 and Kevin's Two
>>Oceans Lake, WY 090623.mp3 and cut back & forth
>>between them on a movie timeline. Not scientific
>>but it could help make some of the differences in

pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/KlasBinaural_Kevn'sM-S_Sor3LrgSz.mov
>>Its large (20mb) and a QuickTime move. (Sorry about that Klas.)
>>
>>Here is the same comparison as just a mp3
>>starting with Klas' binaural rig and alternating
>>back and forth with Kevin's MKH 39-40 M-S Rig.
>>
>><https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/KlasBinaural_Kevn%27sM-S.m=
p3>https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/KlasBinaural_Kevn%27sM-S.m=
p3