Re: Noise Reduction

Subject: Re: Noise Reduction
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:34 am ((PDT))
Marc Myers wrote:
> Mike
> Some artifacts are inevitable but there are techniques to reduce them. No=
 matter what the bit rate your file was recorded, first increase it as much=
 as possible. More samples are better than few samples when you post proces=
s. Before you apply DNR do you filter? a graphic equalizer or a couple of p=
asses with parametric equalizer can be very helpful. Last, don't apply DNR =
all at once. Better to make several passes as fairly low levels. Hope this =
helps.
> Marc

Now this was some concise, very helpful information for a beginner.
Is there a detailed source of such basic information available, either
in book form or on the web? Simple facts such as Marc states above for
instance, that a higher bit rate is beneficial in post processing.
Beginners like myself don't need to know why initially, just that it's
best to do that; we can learn why later.
I imagine that the subject has been covered many times before on this
site, but finding such info via the search facility is often not that
straightforward, and time consuming.
I am aware that the whole subject of noise reduction is contentious, but
in these unhealthily noise polluted days, I feel it will of necessity
become of more importance.
Max

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: