Re: Noise Reduction

Subject: Re: Noise Reduction
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am ((PDT))
At 7:13 AM -0700 9/16/08, Michael Dalton wrote:
>In my speech research, I have long contended with noise due to a
>nearby highway. It is not possible to move to a quieter location.
>
>When I digitally remove the noise, the sound changes with the
>dreaded artifacts. Does anyone have a way to remove changing
>relatively high level auto noise without the obvious digital effects?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Mike
>www.ParrotSpeech.com

Hi Mike--

Oh, I see.., for macaw & parrots recordings in your home. I'm
noticing a couple of things you might consider:

1) It sounds to my my ear like you are recording in a fairly large
room. Intelligibility in the recordings can be substantially improved
by taking some of the "live-ness" out of the space you're recording
in. Have you considered adding sound board to the walls and ceiling
and carpeting to the floor (if you haven't already)? If you can make
such permanent changes, you can make temporary walls out of 2X4's &
sound board and place them as close to the perch as possible. You can
add denser materials to these to reduce some low frequency pollution.

2) Micing distance can have a profound affect on the amount of
"background" sound in your recordings. Can you describe how you are
currently handling the micing?

If it was my project, the last solution I'd consider is noise
reduction options after the fact. If you'll  describe your setting a
bit more and I'm sure you'll get some promising suggestions. Rob D.