Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair

Subject: Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 am ((PDT))
Eric Benjamin wrote:

> The following=A0suggestion is not very scientific; it's more along the
> lines of "When life give's you lemons, make lemonade."
> =A0
> What you can do is to place the two AT3032 microphones on a short bar,
> one pointed due left and one pointed due right.=A0 The separation is
> determined by the length of the microphones.=A0 The spacing gives some
> directional cues, but the non-obvious part is that the narrowing polar
> pattern at high frequencies also gives you some directional cues.=A0 An
> omnidirectional microphone of the size of an AT3032 is typically down
> several dB for sounds 90 degrees off axis above 5 kHz or so.=A0 I've
> tried this, and it works.

I've taken advantage of this HF directionality with reasonable results
-- not with AT3032s, but with AT804s and EV RE50s, both dynamic omnis
that also have substantial bell-shaped housings. This approach can
probably get you part way down the road toward a workable stereo image,
but it won't give you the clarity and spaciousness of a barrier rig.

ORTF might be a better way to go if you have a good pair of cardioids.
The biggest down side to cardioids is generally increased sensitivity
to handling noise and wind disturbance. As others have mentioned, Greg
Weddig has worked out probably the best shock mount/wind screen
arrangement I've seen for this, capitalizing on the unique form factor
of the Schoeps MK-21. Very clever.

Curt Olson