Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair

Subject: Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 pm ((PDT))
At 9:51 AM +0000 8/30/08, tk7859 wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>"tk7859" <> wrote:
>

>>  If possible I will give it a field test tomorrow.
>>

>Well, I did go onto the salt marsh yesterday to field test the
>lightweight, head spaced barrier rig. It was a bit of a mistake. It
>was late afternoon and a combine was harvesting wheat, maybe barley,
>some two miles away. It was also a peak time for aircraft en-route to
>the London airports. Consequently there was continuous background
>noise of combine plus jets. There was little bird activity. After 45
>minutes I gave up and walked backwards and forwards in front of the
>rig to, at least, test its ability to record something in stereo. I
>did not intend to post the results here as a field test.
>
>However, after reading the following in Rob's post this morning
>
>""
>Hi Scott-
>In addition to the fact that many natural events involve movement,
>stereo imaging performance judgements based on trajectory and
>momentum might be easier to make than those based on identifying
>stationary "clock" positions. The closer the car or other moving
>object comes to the mic array, the more depth imaging performance is
>involved. There seem to be many qualities, including several
>qualities of "motion" to appreciate in stereo imagining.
>""
>
>I decided it might be worthwhile posting the snippet with the
>footsteps. it is in the Files section with the name "footstepsb.mp3"
>
><<http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EAy5SFOHB5RjfdyApEYB9GLk0PNpR4dYf5-wKt0uvqA=
3y4nvywhFTKfHfAEYF5-VZd4kYMz2KzJjXXcYamgUx7zw-zqOSuqcW72-qbygpcetGQ/footste=
psb.mp3>http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EAy5SFOHB5RjfdyApEYB9GLk0PNpR4dYf5-wKt=
0uvqA3y4nvywhFTKfHfAEYF5-VZd4kYMz2KzJjXXcYamgUx7zw-zqOSuqcW72-qbygpcetGQ/fo=
otstepsb.mp3>

>The combine is on the left, aircraft are overhead but left of centre.
>There are also some faint nature sounds -(better heard with
>headphones) a curlew? green woodpecker and an insect buzzing around.
>The footfalls on the dry marsh debris could almost replicate clock
>ticking (as referred to in Rob's extract above) as they progress from
>right to left and back again.
>
>For the record the 3032s were 1.5" from the front edge of the barrier.
>HiMD recording with mic volume set at 24.
>
>Cheers
>Tom Robinson

Hi Tom--
Thanks for posting the photos of your parallel barrier rig with
3032's and 1.5" setback:
(requires yahoo groups log in)

And the localization test you made with it.
(requires yahoo groups log in)

I was able to diminish the distraction of the combine on the left
after lowering the playback volume and listening to it a few times.
The footsteps seem pretty smooth across the field. There is a slight
bump in apparent loudness as the footstep enter the center "region"
of the stereo field at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. How far away
from the mics were the footsteps at 12 o'clock? I'd guess 4'-8'.
Using headphones  the steps across the center also seem to shift up a
bit vertically, seem positioned higher in the stereo field. The
forward facing positioning of the capsules does tend to create a
brighter, more present center, or "front stage."  If the center seems
to be bright, Curt and others have found the anti-wedge rig will
lessen the effect.
http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs_06.jpg

I was thinking that craft store stryofoam could also be be used to
construct the rig. One could glue two blocks like these
http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/smoothfoam_styrofoam/10630.html
together and paint the outside barrier surfaces with a few coats of
acrylic house paint or glue on thin wood veneer. Rob D.