Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair

Subject: Re: handheld location setup for AT3032 pair
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> True. 2- AT3032's (or any two, full -size mics) are taxing to support
> using one arm. Would be smart to include a tripod mount in the rig.
> The complimentary part about the parallel boundary is the mics can be
> strapped directly to the boundaries making a simple, compact, rigid
> rig-- probably smaller in total cubic inches than ORTF or a Jecklin
> Disk.  A light-weight version can be made with 2- 4" X 7" pieces of
> 1/4" thick plywood and (1.5" 1.5" X 3.5") wood block separator. The
> rig doesn't require shock-mounting and the stereo imaging is very
> wide and accurate.

Hi All

You might want to read about and look at the lightweight, head spaced,
barrier rig, using two AT3032s, I am about to test.

I have just uploaded four photos to the "Lightweight Boundary" album
in this Group's Photos area.

"Front View" is just that.  you can see the 3032s mounted on five and
a half inch (14cm) square plates made of 3mm (1/8") ply, held apart by
four lengths of 6mm (1/4") aluminium tubing.  The bottom two tubes
also supply the support for a clamp which allows the boundary plates
to be supported on a very lightweight (=3Dcheap) tripod.  A lightweight
handle could just as easily be attached via a normal 1/4" camera type
bolt.

"Side View" shows a 3/4 side view of the arrangement.

"Wind Protection" shows the "overall" dead cat approach to wind
protection.

Total weight excluding tripod and dead cat is thirteen and seven
eighth ounces.  Of this the two 3032s account for eight and a quarter
ounces and the head spaced boundary is five and five eighth ounces.

Although this setup has not been tried with the 3032s it gives an
excellent stereo image using Rapid triplet capsules, and in this form
it makes up the front, wide stereo section, of my wide stage parabolic
mic.

If possible I will give it a field test tomorrow.

"Corrux Construction" shows a similar lightweight head spaced boundary
made from corrugated plastic sheet.  This material is easy to cut and
glue, cheap to buy, and is relatively strong.  The rig in the photo is
slightly heavier (at 6 and 7/8 ounces) than the plywood rig but it
does have an extra panel and a good number of connecting wires.  The
use of wires allows the rig to be flat packed if space is at a premium.

Generally, using Rapid triplet capsule arrays, I have not found much
difference in performance between the lightweight boundary rigs and a
heavier one made of 7/8" timber.  I have noticed that minimising the
gap between the mic and the boundary surface does improve "stereo
clarity?).  Hence the chosen method of mounting the 3032s on the
boundary plates

Cheers

Tom Robinson