Re: rode nt55 / sd702 problem - urgent advice sought !

Subject: Re: rode nt55 / sd702 problem - urgent advice sought !
From: "Michael Oates" msohooates
Date: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 am ((PDT))
Can you tell us how you transfer the files from the SD to the PC, it may
cast some light on the matter.

Do you use the same headphones when playing back on the SD and the PC?

I have a feeling that this is going to end up being something really really
silly, that is why I am asking basic questions. No offense meant, but it
could be something you are overlooking, because it is so basic, or you have
not come across it before.

My gut feeling is, it is something to do with the PC.

Can you do a test, record a scene with the NT55 and follow on with the
another mic that is ok. Do them both on the same recording medium at all
the same settings and transfer to the PC in the same manner and then
compare.

You could even use one NT55 on left and the other mic on right. That way it
is the same file. That will be a sure fire way of comparing. And just to be
sure, swap the mics so that you also record the NT55 on the right and the
other on the left, just to rule out any channel differences on the SD.

Can you also post a sonogram of what the crackle looks like.

Mike

>thanks for all the advice - have been spending the last few days
>making various test recordings & emailing back & forth with Joe at SD.
>
>To clarify - in the field I use a couple of different hphones - both
>never show up issues with any other mics & the important thing to
>note here is that this crackle is not audible when recording or
>playing back via the SD anyway.
>
>I've made recordings using different mic pairs borrowed from various
>folks here in Prague & with the NT55's & it's only the NT55's that do
>it. But have also tested these mics in a studio & there is nothing
>wrong with them. So right now it looks like either an issue with the
>SD or something 'up' with the settings for these mics. I doubt it's
>an issue with the computer or the headphones - running it through
>wavelab it's possible to 'see' the crackle as being on the track.
>
>It's a real pizzle for sure. If anyone out there has an SD & could
>suggest settings that they have used for NT55's with perfect results
>recording very silent things that would be helpful - I can then
>record using those settings - perhaps that would help !
>
>again, thanks for all your help thus far.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: