Re: Field Tripod

Subject: Re: Field Tripod
From: "ozrall" ozrall
Date: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:10 am ((PDT))
John,

I use a photographic lighting tripod.

They are quite lightweight and come in a range of sizes and heights.
They are designed to support flashes, reflectors and lighting
umbrellas and screens and work with a modular array of attachments -
some of which are useful for supporting sound gear quite nicely.

The one I have has the advantage that it can be extended up to 4m in
height and is pneumatically damped - yet still fairly light, I chose a
slightly large size because I wanted the extra height so its not quite
as small as you have in mind, but the small ones are readily available
and I intend to pick one up shortly for the same portability reasons.

These have a quick release system that takes a fitting which screws
into the threads of most mic mounting brackets.

Linkstar is the brand, but you could get Manfrotto (and pay a little
more) or many others including even cheaper Chinese made ones
available on eBay etc.

Cheers
Rally