Re: New Equipment: KorgMR1000 v Sound Devices 702

Subject: Re: New Equipment: KorgMR1000 v Sound Devices 702
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:56 am ((PDT))
Hi Clint,
         preamp noise and delta-sigma noise are two different and
independent issues. Preamp noise is high for nature recording, but
acceptable for loud sound recordings.
The high frequency noise issue is related with delta-sigma technology
but may differ in  different implementations. It is "probably" (also)
related with noise shaping algorithms that move noise in frequency
ranges where we can't hear it. In any case DSD technology requires
low pass filtering to remove high frequency components created by
delta-sigma converters.
I attach a figure. Probably it will be rejected by naturerecordists
but will arrive to your private email.

Gianni

At 02.40 24/03/2008, you wrote:

>Gianni,
>Are you saying that the Korg MR1000 suffers because of the DSD
>technology or have Korg simply failed to design their micpreamp
>cicuitry well enough and therefor any advantages of the DSD format is
>lost because of this. Are you implying that there is other inherent
>flaws with either DSD or the way Korg has implemented DSD in these units?
>Is it possibly a software issue? Perhaps you know of a suitable
>modification or work around? Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
>thanks.
>clint

>Checked by AVG.
>23/03/2008 18.50

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra