New Equipment: KorgMR1000 v Sound Devices 702

Subject: New Equipment: KorgMR1000 v Sound Devices 702
From: "artsonics" artsonics
Date: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:48 am ((PDT))
John,
  I purchased a Korg MR1000 last August and I am regretting it. The
big problem with the Korg is the very hissy mic preamps that are
totally unsuitable as a field recorder,especially for low level sounds.
At the time of my purchase there was very few reviews of the Korg
except for a lot of pre release hype(Bull****)on the DSD format which
MAY or may not be the next step in digital recording. Out of character
I took a punt on the new technology as exciting as it sounded.
NOT!(definitly no pun intended),something I would not normally do with
any new technology. I will also add that The Korg MR1000 was being
endorsed by  many respected writers/contributers for many Electronic
Musician magazines such as Craig Anderton among them.
To make matters worse I had great difficulty getting any help or
advice on the problem from Korg or doing a net search. Even the Korg
forum was no help to me. While there have been vague references to
problems with the Korgs I did not see much to endorse my own
experience with the MR1000 so was starting to think it may be just my
unit. Only recently did I find a Korg contact address in the USA. I
recently emailed Korg USA expressing my concerns. A rep from the
company has at least replied to my email in reasonable time. At this
stage any outcome is hopefully in progress so I may have some recourse
for assistance as the unit is still under warranty albeit in the USA.
At the time I was also considering the Fostex Fr2LE which was/is
cheaper and has received very favorable reviews. As with everything
given a better financial position I would have gone for a Sound
Devices. In your case it seems like you have that option. I would
therefor suggest you go for the Sound Devices 702. Sound devices
receive high praise and by all accounts the micpreamps are superior.
Many on this list use these.
My conclusion is that the DSD technology may yet be something worth
keeping an eye on so may have future promise, but I do not think the
Korg MR1000 is IT. This and not to mention a clumsy and unintuitive
software interface leaves the Korg wanting.
I suppose I should add that what recordings I did useing line in jacks
          were very clean if thats any consolation.
PS: BTW, Yes, the connectors on the bottom/rear of the MR1000 I also
found inconvenient.

               cheers regards and goodluck (better luck at least)

                        clint williams

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: