Re: Danger in the Wild

Subject: Re: Danger in the Wild
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:11 am ((PST))

> From: Andrew Skeoch <>
> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:16:16 +1100
> Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Danger in the Wild
>
> In Australia, as Syd points out, we've done away with our megafauna,

I'm relieved to note Andrew's endorsement, but in fact it could reasonably
be claimed that we are both wrong: a seven metre long Crocodylus porosus
just might qualify as 'mega'.

Harry Messel, Physics Professor, Sydney University, carried out a major
research project on the Saltwater Crocodiles of northern Australia.  One
aspect of this was tracking them by means of radio transmitters attached to
their necks.

Three of his staff had located one very large croc basking on the far bank
of a river.  There was a large mangrove tree leaning out over the water on
their bank, but even after climbing up it and using binoculars they were not
entirely satisfied that they could see how whether the transmitter was still
securely fastened to the croc's neck.

One bloke said he had been told that if you splash a leafy branch in the
water it will attract a crocodile - sounds like a fish in distress.  They do
this and sure enough the croc's head comes up, and a few seconds later he
walks down to the water, swims out about 10 metres and submerges.

Shortly after, his head comes out of the water right in front of the
mangrove; paused for a split-second, then lunged.  And the only thing that
saved the lowest of the three blokes was a small branch on the mangrove that
deflected the croc's strike.

Prof. Messel wrote it up in some scientific journal, but I've long since
forgotten where.

Not a sound-recording episode, but a useful reminder for anyone who does go
sound-recording in the coastal areas of northern Australia.  C. porosus is a
man-eater!  The fresh-water croc., C. johnstoni, is not - but beware:
Salties also go into fresh water.  They may travel upstream when the country
is flooded and even remain in fresh-water areas cut off from the sea, after
the floods have subsided.  So in coastal northern Australia croc country,
NEVER EVER camp near water or go swimming.

Which background enables me to relate an amusing episode.  Two friends of
mine, Peter and Don, were investigating a remote part of Cape York Peninsula
for possible national park declaration.  To get to the area they used a
small aluminium dinghy and out-board motor to cross Bathurst Bay from where
they were camped with their 4WD vehicle. The only fresh water they had was
what they carried in the vehicle for drinking.  Their survey took several
days.  Back and forth across the Bay each day.

Survey complete and they drive to a large fresh-water stream between high
banks.  Peter strips off, dives in and swims out in to the middle.  Don
walks down the bank to the water's edge and tells Peter he's being very
foolish. Doesn't he know they are in croc country and salties do go into
fresh water.

     "I don't care," says Peter," After days without any fresh water to wash
in, I'm going to get rid of the Bathurst Bay salt."

    "More fool you," says Don, and walks back up the bank  ... to come face
to snout with a very large feral boar!  In no time flat, Don's out in the
water, clothes, boots, and all.

Cheers

Syd