Re: Danger in the Wild

Subject: Re: Danger in the Wild
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 am ((PST))
>Being safe can lead to new perceptions. For example, I used to tramp
>and stumble through the woods at night with a flashlight until one
>night Rich Peet headed out with me sans lighting gear. He suggested
>trying it "au natural" learning to use my night vision and auditory
>navigation. He was right. I feel I'm safer with my new skills. When
>my son became scared in the woods one black night, Rich put it this
>way, "The only two things you need to worry about in the woods are
>bad footing and humans in bad moods."  Rob D.

A few weeks ago I was headed out to Cathedral Grove in Muir Woods to
set up my dawn recording. There was a bright moon, and I enjoyed
walking in the dappled moonlight without my light.

Then I walked right off the boardwalk, tripping over the 4 x 4 curb!
Fortunately I crashed into a sapling that I hung on to and didn't go
sprawling in the duff.

-Dan Dugan