Re: Danger in the Wild

Subject: Re: Danger in the Wild
From: "rchapanis" rchapanis
Date: Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:05 pm ((PST))
My favorite story (not a personal experience) was one shared by a
state wildlife biologist in Sitka, Alaska. Before I hiked up the
Indian River, which empties into Sitka harbor, I wanted to know what
to expect along the river--particularly bears. The biologist said that
there were no salmon runs in progress and that the berry season had
passed.  So, I felt comfortable starting my hike.  But, before I left,
he shared a personal experience that seems as fresh today as it was
when he told it. He said that he had been kneeling at water's edge,
collecting water samples, when he caught a strong whiff of rotten
fish. Without waiting a moment, looking around, or standing up, he
crawled out into the water, swam quickly out to the center, and then
turned around--only to see a huge brown bear standing where he had
been kneeling.  Apparently, the bear had literally been breathing down
his neck.

With that experience in mind, I hiked very cautiously up the river.
(BTW, the hike along that river was extraordinarily beautiful.)

Roger