Re: Danger in the Wild

Subject: Re: Danger in the Wild
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:38 am ((PST))
This sort of thing is why I use a headlamp and will not move at all at
night without it on, not a step. Far better at showing you where you are
going, keeping you safer. This country boy has had plenty of close
encounters snake wise, both day and night. And other critters as well. I
also have on me in my night recording extra batteries, a couple
flashlights and so on on top of the headlamp. And more spares in the
truck, including a spare headlamp.

The only thing that's really gotten me out at night in Georgia is
getting covered by fire ants.  It's not just snakes.

I'm in the process now switching over to all LED in my flashlights, I
switched to a LED headlamp long ago. Much easier on the batteries, and
the current crop of LED flashlights are brighter than the regular bulbs
they replace. Maglights there are direct replacement "bulbs" for the
larger sizes, I've tried replacements for the AA's, but the new Maglight
AA flashlights are better, they have a new reflector design. I'll
convert some of my old AA maglights, but also am buying some new ones as
I run into sales. I've a new LED AA maglight in my pocket most all the
time now, it's still running on it's original batteries after two
month's daily use. I'll change to long life rechargables once the
originals that came with it finally die.