Re: High quality Mic preamps

Subject: Re: High quality Mic preamps
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:29 am ((PST))
Philip Tyler, you wrote:
>I think when Dan was talking about listening to M/S
>when monitoring I got the impression he meant he was
>listening to the M/S mics directly. Meaning he would
>hear the M mic in one ear and the S mic in the other,
>I may be wrong but that is the impression I got. You
>don't have to decode to left and right for monitoring
>when recording. Which is why I presume Dan said he
>liked to do it that way as he did not want to undermod
>the S signal.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I would prefer to monitor MS decoded to LR
while still recording it MS. That way I can get some pleasure out of
it, and I know whether to note something as being on the left or
right of the field.

When the sound being recorded is stronger in the front, this
technique will result in a lower level being recorded on the S
channel. In analog that might have been a concern, but in digital
IMHO it's trivial.

My reason for wanting my master to have my preferred balance when
decoded is to give my recording legs--someone listening through my
archives long after I'm dead would, if metadata survived and they
knew how to MS decode, hear what I heard.

Respectable professionals have different opinions on this. This is
why many pro recorders allow the option of MS decode to headphones
only.

BBC is one organization with a long history of MS field recording.
Maybe Martyn can tell us what their policy for balancing is.

-Dan