High quality Mic preamps

Subject: High quality Mic preamps
From: "artsonics" artsonics
Date: Thu Nov 8, 2007 3:07 pm ((PST))
Hi all,
   Thanks to those members that gave valuable advice regarding good
mic preamps. It was good to find that little company Aerco and the
chap running that was very helpfull and even offers custom additions
and options to his great looking preamp and I am considering this.
The other one I am considering is the Sound Devices mixpre which
looks to be well specd. I now have some more questions about what
features I think are important to me. I am curious to know more
about M/S decoding cicuitry and need to know if this is neccessary
in a preamp or can be done later with software. Also I was wanting
two channels with XLR inputs but I dont know how important it is to
have XLR outputs and was thinking unbalanced 1/4 line outs would be
sufficent or would that degrade quality. Now I am even wondering if
I should have extra XLR inputs, maybe 3 or 4? I require the 48v
phantom power. Some of the lowpass filtering options look usefull
also.
I also liked the option of bypassing any onboard A/D converters a
preamp may have to enable using another recording machines A/D's. In
the case of the Aerco it has no A/D circuitry anyway but the sound
devices does and I don't believe it can be switched out of circuit.
I think small portable and simple is best so I would like advice
from other users what they consider to be the most important
features a preamp should have after the sound quality (silence).
thanks again.
                    clint