Re: High quality Mic preamps

Subject: Re: High quality Mic preamps
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:34 pm ((PST))
I think when Dan was talking about listening to M/S
when monitoring I got the impression he meant he was
listening to the M/S mics directly. Meaning he would
hear the M mic in one ear and the S mic in the other,
I may be wrong but that is the impression I got. You
don't have to decode to left and right for monitoring
when recording. Which is why I presume Dan said he
liked to do it that way as he did not want to undermod
the S signal.

As regards jack's or RCA's your best option is to make
your own leads up, or buy them, with XLR's one end to
connect to your mixer and RCA's, quarter inch TRS
jacks or the 3.5mm jacks the other. If using a Sound
Devices mixer you only connect to pins 1 and 2 of the
XLR by the way.

Phil
--- artsonics <> wrote:

> Thanks again for the replys regarding mic pre amps.
> After looking at
> some of these options I was leaning toward the
> mixpre but now
> considering the 302 with extra mic input and M/S
> decoding. Although
> this is an expensive unit I like the features, small
> size and have
> seen nothing comparable as an option.
> Dan Dugan said he personally liked to monitor M/S
> while recording in
> that technique....I would be interested to find out
> if there are other
>  pre's offering similar features. Are you using a
> 302 Dan or is there
> other units offering similar features?
> Coming from using other audio equipement I wish
> there were a pair of
> 1/4 inch output jacks or even RCA's. However I see
> connectors on these
> devices I am not so familiar with....such as TA3 and
> Hirose, which I
> assume are for interfacing with camera gear. This
> has me wondering if
> this device is mainly for video as opposed to audio.
>
>                            thank you clint

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/