Re: 16 bit vs 24 bit Information Theory Hypothesis

Subject: Re: 16 bit vs 24 bit Information Theory Hypothesis
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 11:45 pm ((PDT))
i was not going to post to this thread, but it is just too tempting. as an
archive person and a field recordist, i do use 24 bit whenever i can. in an
archive you never truncate anything, whether you can hear it or not (somebody
else might). as a field recordist, it just means i can set my levels  about 18
db lower and never worry about the occassional overlead. (i have had serious
microphone overloads with the sarus (a red necked stork) from a few hundred
yards away. for publication you can dither down to 16 bit, but there is a world
of difference with dither and without dither, audible without anything more
than a decent pair of headphones. (this is something i use to teach.)

umashankar