Re: dynamic microphones

Subject: Re: dynamic microphones
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Tue Mar 6, 2007 4:40 pm ((PST))
Dan Dugan wrote:

> Curt Olson, you wrote,
>
>> I contacted Heil a few weeks ago asking them to consider building a
>> dynamic omni similar to their studio cardioids. Being a less-is-more
>> kind of guy, I keep nursing the notion that high-quality dynamics
>> could greatly simplify things in the field -- if the compromises
>> would ever become tolerable.
>
> But at -53, the Heil dynamic cardioid's output is still at least 13 dB
> below typical electrets, and over 20 dB below some.

Would you be willing to explain this further, Dan? I don't think I have
a real clear understanding about the relationship between sensitivity
and output voltage.

And on a related topic, I've played around lately with a pair of Audio
Technica AT804 dynamic omnis, which have a relatively high output
compared to some common dynamic vocal mics. High-end response of the
804s drops off too quickly for them to be a lot of use for my purposes,
but I find it interesting that I sometimes prefer hearing clean preamp
noise to the dirty self noise of, for example, the Shure WL183s. Walt
has made this point several times before. The CHARACTER and QUALITY of
a condenser mic's self noise (not merely its level) is something worth
considering when making evaluations.

Curt Olson