Re: dynamic microphones

Subject: Re: dynamic microphones
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Mar 7, 2007 10:28 pm ((PST))
At 9:35 AM -0800 3/7/07, Dan Dugan wrote:

>Typical correspondences:
>
>dBV/Pa   Open Circuit mV
>-60         1.0
>-50         3.2 (hot dynamic mic)
>-40        10.0 (condensor mic)
>    0      1000.0 (1 Volt)

The rule of thumb I've come across in a few
places is 10mV/Pa being a reference minimum in
sensitivity for condenser mics if one is after
lower noise performance. Does this correspond
with your -40 dBV/Pa, Dan?

Curt:
>The CHARACTER and QUALITY of a condenser mic's
>self noise (not merely its level) is something
>worth considering when making evaluations.

Dan:
>Yes, a single number doesn't tell you the
>spectrum or the texture of the noise.

It would be interesting to include some of the
better dynamics in a test with condenser mics. I
used dynamics almost exclusively for years. I
recall the noise creeping down pretty low in the
spectrum with the RE-16 (1.4mV/Pa) and RE-20 (1.5
mV/Pa).  The MD-221 that Umashankar speaks fondly
of seems to spec at 2 mV/Pa =B1 3 dB at 1 kHz,
nominal; the Beyer M-88 at 2.3 mV/Pa.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Artsmics