Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise

Subject: Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise
From: "scottsherk27" scottsherk27
Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 6:57 am (PDT)
Thanks Klas, Bernie, Rob and Gianni for your helpful responses.  My
concerns emerged from using new equipment in an unfamiliar recording
environment.  I took the MKH 40/30 rig to Maine, which is such a
quiet environment=97compared to Pennsylvania at this time of year.  I
found that I needed to push the gain on the Sony RH10 way beyond what
I usually do in order to get what I considered adequate saturation.
This was necessary because of the quiet environment, and also because
of the apparently less sensitive chain of MKH 40/30 to Rolls to Hi-
MD, compared to my more familiar Telinga EM23's to PIP Hi-MD.

Listening to my Maine recordings I was surprised by the high-end
noise that I was hearing.  After reading your posts I have
reconsidered the whole dilemma and have concluded that the issue is
related to low SNR due to lower sensitivity.  I repeated the crude
test that I was doing with the clock and substituted a metronome=97much
louder than the very quiet clock.  I carefully normalized the
recordings to the peaks of the clicking and then listened carefully
to the valleys.  The valleys with the MKH rig are significantly
quieter.  I believe that what I was experiencing in the earlier test
was a mistake:  the clock was so quiet that I was normalizing
unequally and getting an inaccurate comparison, as Klas suggested.
I've posted this new comparison again on my test page at:
http://tinyurl. com/hx9nq

What I'm beginning to conclude is that my current set-up of MKH 40/30
to Rolls to Hi-MD is much less sensitive than I had expected.  I have
no way of comparing this to equipment other than what I have.  This
question emerges: should an MKH 40/30 pair be significantly less
sensitive than EM23's which are rated at 10-11.55 mV/Pa?  Is this an
anomaly of my equipment=97possibly the Rolls?

Thanks,
Scott