Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise

Subject: Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise
From: "Wild Sanctuary" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 7:13 am (PDT)
A few years back (pre-Telinga and other smaller mic manufacturers who
have since developed into serious players), the Audio Engineering
Society rated the Sennheiser MKH series as the quietest mics
professionally manufactured. Period.

While they were not rated as the most sensitive (the trade-off), they
were quiet and transparent. Furthermore, at the time, they were
considered the most stable units for a wide range for field
applications that took into account weather (thermal conditions,
humidity, wind, etc.). Because of Sennheiser's careful QC during
manufacturing, you can take any set of mics (we typically use
different sets of MKH30/40s), set them up in a lab and the calibrate
to within .1 dB. My MKH 40 purchased in the late 80s calibrates to
that kind of spec with the two I bought in 2001 for a larger project.
It's that kind of reliability one wants and needs at the pro level,
especially if you are representing calibrated inputs.

When testing, though, you might want to use different technology,
like current lab equipment or a 722 because of the quiet preamps.
That may make a difference.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary