Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise

Subject: Re: MKH vs Telinga EM23 noise
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sun Sep 3, 2006 6:21 am (PDT)
Folks, I assure you, there is no way to reveal noise generated by the DC
chopper. All you can do is to connect batteries, supplying the phantom
power, and hear if the noise disappears.
When you have such noise, like when I use the MT24/96 - I don't even know
if the noise is generated in the mic or in the MT or "everywhere".

Klas.

At 06:24 2006-09-03, you wrote:
>Posted by: "Rob Danielson"
>
> > Eric measured 47 volts output from the Rolls under load. I've run two
> > CAD 179's on a Rolls for hours with no performance loss and these mcs
> > pull ~13ma each. Scott's Rolls, mics or his recorder might be working
> > improperly but I (along with many other recordists) can report
> > Scotts' problem its not from a design flaw in the Rolls.  Rob D
>
><Snip>
>
> > If the Rolls has basic supply current problems, we would known about
> > them long ago,...
> >
> > Eric Benjamin measured the voltage at the output pins of the Rolls at
> > 47.6 V.  We run CAD 179 mic's on Rolls all the time at school. I
> > think the CAD's pull ~13ma each. We can predict with confidence that
> > Scotts' problem its not the result of a design flaw in the Rolls. Rob
> > D.
>
>However, the Rolls is the piece of equipment that is in the questioned
>side of the test and not the other.
>
>I'm in perfect agreement that a fully functioning Rolls should have no
>problem whatsoever running a couple of MKH mics. There is plenty of info
>where they have worked fine.  However, if this particular Rolls has
>something wrong with it, it could be the problem. The simple first test
>since it's a power supply is to check it's producing the power it's
>supposed to.
>
>I'm actually of the belief that the hardware is just fine. The problem
>is in the design or implementation of the comparison test.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."