Re: Shure VP88 vs Sennheiser MKE44 > (AKG C480 vs Senn. K6)

Subject: Re: Shure VP88 vs Sennheiser MKE44 > (AKG C480 vs Senn. K6)
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:49 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "lampmeister"

> That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well Walt...[sigh].
> I'm just trying to figure out if my needs justify me walking all the
> way down that well worn path to MKH'dom. I think I could live without
> a figure of 8 mic being from the same mic range, so long as it's quiet.

I do remember the day I decided I was serious enough about and committed
enough to nature recording to spend a quantity of money on the hobby. It
was not a decision that I arrived at overnight, in fact it took several
years.

> Comments/user experineces of these 2 systems would be much appreciated.

I have no experience with the AKG. Looking at it's specs it might be ok
for some nature recording. I also noted they gave humidity tolerance
figures. Looks like you would not want to use it in a condensing
environment, particularly if it's warm.

I know several in this area that use the K6 system, all use one of the
shotguns. For recording calls these are pretty good, a tried and known
mic series for nature recording at a lower price point than the MKH.

If you are looking at omni you might want to follow what Dan is finding
on the AT3032. Their spec is not that good for self noise but he's
reporting it does better than that. I tried a loaned pair briefly,
modifying my MKH-20 SASS to hold them (made shim tubes). There's a photo
of them in my mod SASS page in the SASS, and a couple comparison
recordings to the MKH-20 are linked:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html#AT3032

I have a feeling that in very quiet sites the AT3032 will not be as good
as the MKH-20 for ambiance recording. Did not have the opportunity of a
quiet site when I had them here.

I agree with Rob, if at all possible try the choices before buying. It's
hard to tell a lot in short usage, but it helps. At the kind of money of
high end mics this is serious decision making. Though I do know that
since I found my MKH on ebay that I could sell them on ebay for about
what I paid for them. No way I'm selling any of them, however.

Remember, mics, particularly high end ones, are long lived. You can
write off the money over a long time period. You won't outgrow them quickly=
.