Re: Faux Fur Group Order

Subject: Re: Faux Fur Group Order
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 am (PDT)
Posted by: "John Hartog"

> Hi Walt,
> It really only stretches in one direction, and not with great elasticity.

Stretch is primarily of value so that you can put it on and it does not
flap against what's supporting it.

> For very light wind, instead of fur, I use a Lycra-Spandex two sided
> fleece that stretches well in all directions.  I'm confident it stops
> the wind better than the tan shag would.  If the breeze is steady I
> put the grey fur on as a second layer.

Rycote uses nylon taffeta linings on their fur covers. So similar to the
Lycra & Fur setup. I don't like smooth outer coatings as they seem to
have some tendency to create their own noises. Probably what you are
talking about in having to put fur on.

> Oh, and thanks for sharing those remarkable recordings Walt.

You're welcome. About the quietest site I've had since my trip out west,
particularly at 3AM. Those owls are a lot farther away than they seem.
By ear it was near silent at that time.