Re: single-point stereo mic

Subject: Re: single-point stereo mic
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:55 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Graham Evans"

> Walt - I would be surprised if there is a difference in diameters - the
> Rode company and Sony surely use the same standard for
> stereo-mini(3.5mm).  My current theory is that there is just a slight
> bend in the plug itself - rotating it in the socket produces more and
> less sensitive positions.  But strangely it seems to be improving with
> time.  Perhaps the warp straightening with use - I'm just guessing.

The easy way to find out is put a calipers on it and see what it is.
I've quit trying to figure it out logically.

Unlikely to be a warp.

> I have ordered a second cord - actually a cord that will run from the
> dual XLRs supplied with the Rode and convert back to stereo-mini.  The
> idea being to have a spare and to skip the attenuator.  Not the neatest
> solution I know but I absolutely could not find an XLR5 to
> stereo-mini-cord so I figure I will eventually have to build such a
> cord.  If anyone knows a supplier please let me know (I would like about
> 5 foot of cable and a right-angle gold plug).  If anyone knows an
> Australian supplier of such a cord or a good custom cord builder that
> also could work.

The Sony ECM-MS957 uses a 5 pin to mini stereo cord like you want, comes
with one. You might check for that one from a Sony parts supplier.

I build my own cords.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,