Re: single-point stereo mic

Subject: Re: single-point stereo mic
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Jun 5, 2006 4:18 pm (PDT)
Hi Kim--
The AT822 (with 24dBA self noise and low output
(6mV/Pa) is probably too noisy for recording
ambience- -except exclusively for loud, urban
locations. We bought 30 Rode NT4's for the (film)
school and they have been fairly popular. One
must buy or make a good shock mount (as the Rode
manual also states), the stereo image is often
quite compressed towards the center (see Tom's
last post for a good example) and the 1/8"
miniplug cable needs to be modified (no big deal
here). There are a few better, quiet single-point
stereo mics but they're really expensive.
Personally, I wouldn't use an NT-4 to record
ambience because its a challenge to create a
sense of expanse with one. Might have to do with
coincident X-Y configuration, but its fixed. The
NT-4 is better for stereo micing of close to very
close sound sources. If you're after something
reasonably compact, a SASS fixture or a barrier
similar to Curt's recent rig with AT3032's might
be worth considering. Omni-directional mics are
usually preferred for ambience; the two single
point mics you mention are cardioids.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts