Re: single-point stereo mic

Subject: Re: single-point stereo mic
From: "Graham Evans" grayboodle
Date: Wed Jun 7, 2006 8:03 am (PDT)
> Go with the Rode, and make sure to get Rob Danielson's recipe for
>
>> removing the attenuator in the cable. And get/make a good shock mount,
>> because it's pretty sensitive to handling noise.
>

> i'm probably about to go for one of these as well (i was considering
> buying derek's at, but now he's talked me out of it  ; ) .  what's
> your recipe, rob?
>
> patrick

I got an NT4 in the post today.  The 1/8" stereo plug was dead (or at
least very static-y at one end).  Did this problem arise with any of the
multiple units you ordered Rob?  I might have attempted to fix it myself
but I haven't got my soldering iron in the post yet and, hey, I paid for
one which works...

The unit was heavier and bigger than I had imagined.  The cord was the
only problem - everything else seemed fine.  Hopefully I can just send
the cord back and they don't make me ship the whole unit.

I did get a sneak preview of the sound on the mic - when no-one breathed
on the cord that is.  Since I am used to the 50cent microphones built
into tape players and video cameras I found it amazing.  A more
considered opinions will have to wait until I have my excahnge.

At least I have some dimensions to work with to construct my shock-mount
now.

Graham