Re: single-point stereo mic

Subject: Re: single-point stereo mic
From: "Graham Evans" grayboodle
Date: Fri Jun 9, 2006 5:32 am (PDT)
> > Before you send it back, you might care to try thoroughly cleaning the
> > 1/8" plug - the merest hint of skin grease can cause the problems you
> > describe.
>
> If it's truly a 1/8" plug that could be the problem. Most recorders are
> 3.5mm not 1/8". They are similar sizes, but 1/8" is smaller than 3.5mm
> (3.18mm =3D 1/8"), so a 1/8" plug fits loose. This is more than enough to
> cause problems, particularly if the jack in the recorder is worn. About
> the only cure is to replace the plug with a 3.5mm.
>
> Walt

I have been busy making my shock-mount and wind-shield for the NT4.
Pictures soon.

I haven't returned the NT4 or the cord because cleaning made a
signficant difference but really this is not a good cord.  I used metho
as I don't have alcohol.  I will try and get some - I'm worried the
method will dissolve the plastic or something.  The level of
functionality I got from cleaning was good enough to work with.  I'm
realising I can't afford the 3-4 week delay of making a warranty claim
at this stage.

So thanks for the advice Rob, Walt and Neil.

I need to keep this one mic as my lavaliers from Sound Professionals
seem to be coming very slowly...  and it is looking like I am going to
need a lot of animal sounds in this project.  I am guessing they will
take a long time to gather.  The list so far is kangaroos, birds, bats,
a phascogale (a totally silent creature so that should be easy to fake),
lizards rustling the leaves as the crawl around (another easy faker) and
a feral cat.  I was making my shock mount today and two cats had a fight
under the house - but of course it was all over before my kit was
ready.  I bet you it doesn't happen for at least another 6 months!

Anyway I want to have my tripod NT4 and recorder set-up and ready to
just go.

Walt - I would be surprised if there is a difference in diameters - the
Rode company and Sony surely use the same standard for
stereo-mini(3.5mm).  My current theory is that there is just a slight
bend in the plug itself - rotating it in the socket produces more and
less sensitive positions.  But strangely it seems to be improving with
time.  Perhaps the warp straightening with use - I'm just guessing.

I have ordered a second cord - actually a cord that will run from the
dual XLRs supplied with the Rode and convert back to stereo-mini.  The
idea being to have a spare and to skip the attenuator.  Not the neatest
solution I know but I absolutely could not find an XLR5 to
stereo-mini-cord so I figure I will eventually have to build such a
cord.  If anyone knows a supplier please let me know (I would like about
5 foot of cable and a right-angle gold plug).  If anyone knows an
Australian supplier of such a cord or a good custom cord builder that
also could work.

Graham