Re: single-point stereo mic

Subject: Re: single-point stereo mic
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jun 6, 2006 7:43 am (PDT)
Hi Patrick--
You should be able find the cable modification and shock-mounts
approaches for the NT-4 in the gallery:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/ Tom Robinson's NT-4
shock is very clean--
m("btinternet.com/my_photos","//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g0sbw");">http:

The primary strength of the NT-4 is its _relative compactness_--
although for recording ambience, adding a tripod to the shock mount
makes for a fairly cumbersome set-up. Students who use the NT-4's for
a couple of semesters ask for separate stereo mics to manipulate. And
since all (non electret mic) stereo arrays involve considerable bulk
and set-up, a pair of low-noise, high-output omnis might prove to be
much more flexible and effective in the long term.  One can use them
in a SASS fixture, a boundary/Jecklin rig, as spaced A/B and around
dense objects like trees for binaural and more. Cardioids or X-Y (in
the NT-4's manner at least) would not be my first choice for
capturing a stereo image of sounds more than about 25' away. The NT-4
is excellent, though, for stereo recording of spatially confined
events-- even a couple of inches across. I think the horse has
stopped breathing. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts