Flash Recorder Dilema

Subject: Flash Recorder Dilema
From: "Lindsay Cargill"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006 1:10pm(PDT)
--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
wrote:

> Given the limitations of the ARES-M, I'd take a close look at two
> competitors which will be available this month. First is the Sony
> MZ-RH1 Hi-MD minidisc recorder (about $300).  Second is the Edirol
> R-09 flash recorder (about $400).  Both are about the same size as
the
> ARES-M, capture similar quality recordings, and cost a lot less.
>
> If the recorder's size is not a concern, and you've got $1000 to
> spend, then take a look at the Marantz PMD671 and Tascam HD-P2.
>
> --oryoki

Many thanks for your reply. I have narrowed down flash recorders to :

TASCAM HD-P2
MARANTZ PMD671
FOSTEX R2

Battery life is poor on R2, Marantz - well, I have heard horror
stories about poor gain performance of preamp. How bad is this
really or is it just pedantry ?! Personal horror stories welcome
though. Quite interested in the Tascam. Is the PMD 660 significantly
diff. from 671 in quality ?

Surely these recorders will all be satisfactory for recording
Crossbill flight calls and toop calls and song with a Telinga Pro6
and ME67/K6 ? Birds will be anywhere from 10 - 30 m, sometimes more.
I have managed to register good levels with a crappy EcM-957 ala
ATR55 and MD so am having a hard time believing the Telinga I am
about to buy is going to perform less well with any of the above
recorders than what I have at present ?

Would prefer to avoid MD - I already have a NH900 and plan to use it
for more remote work.

Cheers,

Linz