Re: Flash Recorder Dilema

Subject: Re: Flash Recorder Dilema
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006 2:41pm(PDT)
At 8:10 PM +0000 5/16/06, Lindsay Cargill wrote:
>--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
>wrote:
>>
>>  Given the limitations of the ARES-M, I'd take a close look at two
>>  competitors which will be available this month. First is the Sony
>>  MZ-RH1 Hi-MD minidisc recorder (about $300).  Second is the Edirol
>>  R-09 flash recorder (about $400).  Both are about the same size as
>the
>>  ARES-M, capture similar quality recordings, and cost a lot less.
>>
>>  If the recorder's size is not a concern, and you've got $1000 to
>>  spend, then take a look at the Marantz PMD671 and Tascam HD-P2.
>>
>>  --oryoki
>

>Many thanks for your reply. I have narrowed down flash recorders to :
>
>TASCAM HD-P2
>MARANTZ PMD671
>FOSTEX R2
>
>Battery life is poor on R2, Marantz - well, I have heard horror
>stories about poor gain performance of preamp. How bad is this
>really or is it just pedantry ?! Personal horror stories welcome
>though. Quite interested in the Tascam. Is the PMD 660 significantly
>diff. from 671 in quality ?
>
>Surely these recorders will all be satisfactory for recording
>Crossbill flight calls and toop calls and song with a Telinga Pro6
>and ME67/K6 ? Birds will be anywhere from 10 - 30 m, sometimes more.
>I have managed to register good levels with a crappy EcM-957 ala
>ATR55 and MD so am having a hard time believing the Telinga I am
>about to buy is going to perform less well with any of the above
>recorders than what I have at present ?
>
>Would prefer to avoid MD - I already have a NH900 and plan to use it
>for more remote work.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Linz

Hi Linz--
With your ME-67 and Pro 6 dish, the crossbill and toop calls should
generate enough level to overcome any differences in noise or gain
the mic pres in these recorders have. There may be some pre
overloading concerns with the Marantz 671, the Oade Brothers/their
website is the best word on this. As for which recorder of those you
list would be the best buy for the money for more demanding
applications down the road, I'm not aware of concrete info to go on.
I was hoping to run into colleagues with newer CF recorders to do
side by side tests with, but everyone I've met or talked with over
the last few months has been buying 722's!  (or a Rolls/HiMD and
spending their moola on mics).  There might be some wisdom in this
trend, but I don't know for sure. If you'll provide the list with
more info about your power expectations, I'm sure some current owners
can provide insights and work-arounds. Rob D.