Re: Flash Recorder Dilema

Subject: Re: Flash Recorder Dilema
From: "Lindsay Cargill"
Date: Wed May 17, 2006 3:27pm(PDT)
Many thanks Raimund !

I had previously checked your website and it had alleviated some of
the horror stories that I had been hearing regarding the
unsuitability of these machines re-pre-amp noise.

The fact that someone of your experience and interests can endorse
them is testament enough for me and I will go ahead and get the
Tascam, which was the way I was going. The fact that you have had
positive experience of using them is also helpful. Over here in the
UK the Tascam is also a slightly better deal.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me in this
issue.

I look forward to posting some recordings of Scottish Crossbills
with this new gear !

Best wishes,

Lindsay

--- In   wrote:

> Hi Lindsay,
>
> At least with your K6/ME67, there is no reason to care about the
> preamplifier noise. The preamp noise levels of both the PMD 671
and the
> HD-P2 will be fully masked by the microphone noise. See
> http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm for details.
>
> I'm sure that the Telinga Pro 6 noise will also safely mask the
preamp
> noise. So, there is no need for any modification (which would
additionally
> void the manufacturer's warranty).
>
> I have used both the PMD 671 and the HD-P2. In my opinion, the HD-
P2
> provides a slightly more professional and more rugged design than
the PMD
> 671.
>
> Note that both recorders can be easily powered via external 12V
lead-acid
> batteries (there are standard 2.1 mm coax input sockets on both
recorders).
> I use sealed lead-acid batteries by Panasonic (e.g. the model LC-
R127R2PG).