Re: Sony software strikes again

Subject: Re: Sony software strikes again
From: "Chuck B"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006 2:44pm(PDT)
el_supremo01 wrote:

> I'm an amateur recordist so in the great scheme of things I can
> survive the aggravation. I still had a good weekend at Anglin Lake
> anyway. But if I was a professional and lost something like 3 hours of
> recording I'd be ready to spit nails at every Sony employee from the
> company's president on down.

    Don't go ballistic over this with Sony. Disk recording has this
problem - if you lose the Table of Contents on *any* disk you're
FUBAR'd. My guess is that for several hundred dollars a data recovery
expert could get those files back, because they are still there, but
Sony simply can't afford the time and personnel to deal with it. The
same thing happened to me with an IBM business computer system. I
powered down for a weekend where building electricity was going to be
interrupted. I powered up on Monday and the hard drive disintegrated. I
got out the backups and they had been screwed because of a bug in the
backup protocols. I lost all my corporate records. IBM couldn't help me
(I think some backup files had been overwritten, which 20 years ago made
recovery impossible to anyone but the CIA).
    Everyone goes through Lost File Hell. It's only a matter of time.
But, like touching a hot stove, it's a teachable moment. If I were going
on safari tomorrow and needed a reliable guy to take care of the
dailies, I'd hire you. You've been there.

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager
Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society